Abbey Church Sherborne
Now a Christian Parish Church, the Abbey Church at Sherborne was also a Saxon cathedral from 705–1075, and a Benedictine abbey from 998–1539. There may also have been a Celtic Christian church known as 'Lanprobi' at the site, in the days before the Cathedral was built
There may have originally been a Celtic Christian church called 'Lanprobi' at the site of the Cathedral. the Saxon churches of Sherborne were founded King Ine in 705 by King Ine of Wessex, who made Aldhelm the first of twenty seven Bishop of Sherborne. Some believed Aldhelm was King Ines brother, but he was in fact a son of Kenten of the Royal House of Wessex.
In 1593 the Dissolution of the Monasteries occurred, and the Abbey had to be handed over to King Henry VIII. Thankfully, one of the Kings Knights, Sir John Horsey, bought the abbey (along with several other properties around the area), and sold it back to the people of Sherborne, who have been using it as their parish church ever since.
A few of the original Saxon features still remain in the Abbey, though most of these were demolished by Roger of Caen, and replaced with much larger, Norman style architecture. The
Abbey is particularly famous for the re-modelling of the fan-vaulting, done by William Smyth in the 15th century. It is believed this renovation was completed in 1490, though during the work a riot in the town caused a fire that damaged much of the building, and caused severe delays for the renovation. The damage and effects caused by this fire can still be seen on the walls under the Tower, which display a slight off-colouration and reddening of the bricks.