You may be familiar with the rhyme -
'Ride a cock horse to Banbury Cross,
To see a Fyne lady ride on a white horse.
With rings on her fingers and bells on her toes,
She shall have music wherever she goes.'
This rhyme refers to the statue erected at the centre of Banbury town in Oxfordshire - a stone, Gothic, spire-like construction, standing at 16 meters tall and topped with a decorative gilt cross. The current Banbury cross was erected in 1859 to commemorate the marriage of Queen Victoria's eldest daughter to the Prince of Prussia. Before that, the town had many crosses - the High Cross, the Bread Cross, the White Cross, etc, but every one of these original crosses were destroyed by the Puritans in 1600, and the town was without a cross for over 250 years before the current one was built. In 1914 a statue of George V was added, to celebrate his coronation, as well as statues of Queen Victoria and Edward VII.
It is believed that the rhyme was created about one of the previous, unfortunatley destroyed crosses, but it still proves very popualr today. Another statue was added in April 2005, depicting the 'Fyne lady riding a white horse'. This statue was made of bronze, and was unveiled by Princess Anne (the Pricess Royal).