Also known as the High Kirk of Glasgow or St Mungos Cathedral, Glasgow Cathedral was built on the ground where St Mingo, the first Bishop of the kingdom of Strathclyde, was believed to have been buried in around 612AD. St Mungorests to this day, in his tomb in the lower crypt of the Cathedral.
The present Cathedral, as we see it today, was constructed between the 13th and 15th centuries, and survived the 1560 Reformation pretty much intact - the only medieval Scottish Cathedral to do so.
However, Glasgow Cathedral is technically no longer a Cathedral, and hasn't been for over 320 years. This is because the Cathedral hasn't actually been used as the 'seat of a Bishop' since the year 1690. It is, however, still a very active and popular place of Christian worship, and hosts a regular Church of Scotland congregation.
The University of Glasgow actually began in the towns Cathedral, with classes originally being held in its precinct from 1451 - 1460. It was William Turnbull, the then Bishop of Glasgow, who founded the University, and as a result, the Bishops of Glasgow served as the Universities Chancellors for the next 200 years.
Glasgow Cathedral is open to the public from 9.30am-5.30pm mon-sat and 1pm-5pm on Sundays. Its highlights include -