Chessington World of Adventures
Chessington World of Adventures, London, combines the thrills of both a safari and a theme park, and is home to over 1,000 animals and many, many rides. The Park originated at Chessington Zoo, which was opened in 1931, but wasn't officially opened as a theme park until 1987 (the same year that the M25 opened).
Chessington World of Adventures has ten different themed 'lands', each of which contains several different rides and its own individual theme and location -
- Chessington Zoo (home to enclosures for gorillas, tigers, lions and capybaras, wallabies, meerkats, squirrel monkeys and more
- Wild Asia (a wild jungle with exotic tribal statues where people can feed the birds and enjoy various rides)
- Forbidden Kingdom (an Ancient Egypt themed attraction with an obelisk centrepiece)
- Land of the Dragons (a kids attraction with dragon-themed rides)
- Market Square (central area of the park with arcades, shops and food stalls)
- Mexicana (as you may have guessed, is Mexican-themed)
- Mystic East (Oriental themed)
- Pirate´s Cove (the home of sea-inspired rides)
- Transylvania (vampire themed rides)
- Zufari (a safari-themed area with jeep rides and animal interaction)
A new area named 'Africa' also opened in 2012. An adult ticket costs £43.20, and family tickets are available from £60 (for 2), and the Park is open from 10am daily.