Helmsley Castle is a proud and imposing medieval castle, that can be found in North Yorkshire's beautiful North York Moors National Park. The castle itself was originally built out of wood in 1120, by a man named Walter l'Espec, and wasn't reformed into stone until 1186, by Robert de Ros. Robert also built the castles two main towers, corner towers, and the main south gateway. His son inherited the castle from 1227-1258, and during his ownership he built a chapel in the castle's courtyard. The next inheritor in line, another Robert de Ros (the original Robert's grandson), envisioned and constructed the east tower, the new hall and kitchen, the wall that now divides the castle into south and north sectors as well as adding to the structures already there, in order to strengthen them.
The castle remained more or less within the same family for many centuries, and over those years the original chapel was reconstructed into a kitchen, and the old hall converted into a Tudor mansion. During the 1642-1651 English Civil War,the castle was brutally besieged, but was bravely held for an entire 3 months before Jordan Crosland surrendered. The castle was subsequently damaged - it's walls and parts of the towers destroyed so that the castle could be of no further use in military battle, before being inherited by the 2nd Duke of Buckingham in 1657.
After the Duke's death, the castle was passed to a banker by the name of Charles Duncombe, and after him Thomas Duncombe, who built the country house that overlooks the castle today.