Lincoln Cathedral was commissioned in 1088 by William the Conqueror, and four years later the completed construction, built by Bishop Remigius, was consecrated. It was built out of oolitic limestone, in the south-east corner of the old Roman upper city, opposite Lincoln Castle, which had already been established by William the Conqueror in the south-west corner.
Sadly, around 1141, Lincoln Cathedral suffered extensive damage at the hands of fire, and it was up to Alexander 'The Magnificent' - the Bishop of Lincoln from 1123-1148 - to rebuild and renovate it. However less than half a century later, in 1185, and earthquake caused another bout of damage to the building, and so the cities next Bishop, Sir Hugh, began reconstructing and renovating the cathedral once more. He began this task in 1192, and chose to use a more Gothic style than the original building, with features such as pointed arches, ribbed vaults, flying buttresses and large stained glass windows.
Lincoln Castle, near to the Cathedral, is home to one of the four remaining copies of the Magna Carter, upon which King John placed his seal at Runnymeade in 1215. During the years of 1307 to 1311, the Cathedral's central tower was raised to the height it is today. During it's day it was the tallest building in the world, but the central towers spire was blown down and destroyed by high winds in 1549.
Today, over 250,000 visitors flock to Lincoln Cathedral each year.