The monument in Trafalgar Square in central London, built to commemorate Admiral Horatio Nelson, the heroic leader who died at the 'Battle of Trafalgar' in 1805 is named after the ill fated Admiral; Nelson's Column. It is a towering column of Corinthian design, hewn from Dartmoor granite and built and designed by William Railton, a church builder by trade whose work can still be seen today in such places as Charnwood Forest and Woodhouse Eaves at Copt Oak.
The monument cost, on the day it was first constructed, £47,000. However a later refurbishment in 2006 cost a further £420,000, a funny quirk of which being that the measurements taken before and after this refurbishment showed the later to be 4.4m shorter than the tower had been previously. The whole monument, as it currently stands, is 51.6m from the bottom of its pedestal to the top of Nelson's hat.
The granting of the commission to design the monument came in the form of a competition held in February of 1838, the budget at the time was estimated between £20,000 and £30,000 but as we all know these things are often underestimated as shown by the price tag of Williams Railtons design for a “Corinthian column, surmounted by a statue of Nelson, and flanked by four sculpted lions”. There are flights of steps leading up to the pedestal of the central column. The overall effect is quite a sight, which must be seen to be fully appreciated.