Provost Skene's House
A rare surviving example of Aberdeens medieval burgh architecture, the home of Sir George Skene, who held the title in Aberdeen of 'Provost' - one who was in charge of convening the local Aberdeen authority when needed. It is not his occupation though for which he is most famous this day, it is in fact the wonderful 16th century house in which he used to reside, but which is now an open house and major tourist attraction in Aberdeen, for which his name is famed.
The house itself predates Sir George, and additions to the decor by an earlier occupant, one Matthew Lumsden, of an 'important cycle of religious paintings, depicting the life of Christ' and his family's coat of arms can still be seen on a window in the roof of the houses western wing to this day. Following on from the religious theme, there are beautiful carved plaster ceilings depicting religious scenes, and an attic gallery complete with Renaissance painted ceiling of further ecclesiastical setting.
The house was opened to the public as a 'Period House and Local History Museum' in 1953 by Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth and the Queen Mother. It is today rated as a three star public museum by the Scottish Tourist Board, and is, as with all such public museums, free of admission charge to the public.