Above the centre of the town of Richmond, North Yorkshire, on a hill atop the banks of the River Swale sits the town's namesake; Richmond Castle. Originally named Riche Mount, or the 'Strong Hill', the castle's first historical mention is in the Domesday Book of 1086 - a record of the survey of England and Wales during the Norman conquest of the area - which puts its construction somewhere between the start of the conquest in 1071 and 1086.
The borough of Richmond was given by William the Conqueror as part of the conquest of Britain to Alain Le Roux de Ponthievre of Brittany, who was tasked with the establishment of Richmond as a power base for William. To do so he began construction of the castle to defend against rebellion. The borough of Richmond represented one of the largest Norman estates in England, covering parts of all eight counties. The ownership of the castle has traditionally been part of the estate of the current Earl of Richmond, although the castle was often confiscated for various reasons and periods under certain monarchs.
Nowadays the castles main attraction is to tourists as one of the finest examples of Norman buildings in Britain today, with restored roof and floors in the main keep but maintaining the original 11th century main gate arch. As part of the English Heritage association the castle is provided a visitor centre complete with an exhibition containing artifacts from the castles history.
The castle is open each day from 10am to 6pm and costs £4.80 for adults and £2.90 for children.