The Guildhall Building and Market in Salisbury, England, is regarded as one of the cities most history-rich and significant buildings. The current building, as it can be seen today, is owned by Salisbury City Council, and stands at almost 220 years old, having been built back in 1795. It is one of many similar style buildings to have been constructed on Guildhall Square over the centuries, though the original was actually built much earlier, during medieval times, and was named 'The Bishops Guildhall', the rights to the building actually remaining with the Bishop and his successors for many centuries, even after it had been re-built and re-modelled.
Unfortunately, just after its re-building in 1795, the Guildhall Market building was mostly destroyed and gutted in a prodigious fire. It was just after this incident that the Bishops relinquished their rights to the building and passed it over to the city of Salisbury, under the condition that the building would be renovated and restored to its previous glory.
The Guildhall building then served as home to one of the cities courts, and as a result witnessed many gruesome murderers and other criminals through its door, as well as equally gruesome sentences from the Judges. One prominent Judge, Justice Park, sentenced a huge total of 28 offenders to death! These days, only the Oak Court remains, and is mostly used for magnificent wedding ceremonies.
Visitors to the Guildhall Building must be sure to take a look at the dingy downstairs cell blocks, which were built in 1889 and were infact used all the way up to the year 2000! There is no denying the eerie, dark atmosphere of the cells, and there have been reports of strange, bodiless noises emanating from their depth - even the builders who carried out the buildings recent £1.2million refurbishment were spooked by the noises!